Write Off Your Moving Expenses

Real Estate

Planning a move or recently experienced one?  Here's some tips on how to use transitions to your favor when tax time comes...

Write Off Your Moving Expenses

Moving expenses are tax deductible if:

  • Your new job or job transfer is at least 50 miles farther from your home than the old house was
  • You had no previous job, the new one has to be at least 50 miles from your old house.
  • Your move makes your commute shorter than it was prior to the move.
  • If you are in the armed forces and had a permanent change of station.
  • If you’re working full-time (you expect to work at least 39 weeks out of the next 12 months).
  • If you incur expenses within one year from the day you reported to work at your new job.

The required length of time is waived in cases of a new job for members of the armed forces, those transferred by an employer, those who lost a job through no fault of their own, and those returning to the United States from abroad when they retire (or their survivors).

Qualified deductions include:

  • Packing and transporting household goods
  • Mileage for use of your own car (or gas and oil expenses)
  • Tolls and parking fees on the trip l Up to 30 days' storage of household goods
  • Disconnecting and connecting utilities
  • Transportation and lodging for yourself and members of your household while traveling to the new home. No longer allowable: $3,000 more for up to 30 days’ temporary living expenses, house hunting trips and costs of selling or buying a home.

If you have any questions, Aaron has connected with some great tax professionals & lawyers in the Rochester area, who will guide you in the right direction as things arise.  Simply reach out at 507-252-6883 or at atjones@cbburnet.com.